For Artists, Organizations and Schools
Strategic Investment Grants for the Arts
The Montana Arts Council Strategic Investment Grants provide up to $1,000 in matching funds to professional artists, nonprofit 501(c)(3) arts organizations and Preschool–Grade 12 teachers in Montana for:
Professional Development: Grants to help build individual art skills and knowledge, arts careers and/or arts businesses.
Market Expansion: Grants to help increase exposure and improve marketing or promotion, opportunities for exhibition, performance and/or sales to a wider or new audience.
Public Outreach Arts Activities: Grants for ongoing or one-time arts activities by arts organizations and/or artists that are designed to reach a new or expanded audience.
Challenges and Emergencies: Grants to provide resources for artists or arts organizations experiencing challenges or emergencies that impede your ability to continue your work.
Application Deadlines & Available Funds
- Please contact staff before applying to determine if funds are available. Kristin Han Burgoyne 406-444-6449 or email@example.com
- The deadline to submit applications is the fifteenth (15th) of the month. If the application deadline is a weekend or holiday, applications may be submitted on the first business day following the deadline.
- It is recommended you apply at least two months prior to your activity. Activities will not be funded retroactively.
- Grants of up to $1,000 are available and must be matched 1:1 with other funds or support (cash and/or in-kind).
- Grant monies will be distributed until the funding for the fiscal year (July 1-June 30) is depleted.
- Applicants may submit multiple applications but may not be funded for more than a combined total of $1000 per fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Due to the limited budget amount and the number of excellent applications, the committee may not fund applicants who have received a SIG grant in the prior two years.
- Generally applications are reviewed by teleconference at 10:00am on the second Tuesday of each month. All Montana Arts Council grant review meetings are open to the public. Applicants will be identified by name and all information submitted is public information. Applications are reviewed by a subcommittee of MAC council members from across Montana. The public may listen to these teleconference meetings at the Montana Arts Council office (830 N Warren, Helena, MT). Please call the office (406-444-6430) to confirm meeting time and inform us that you plan to attend. The minutes from the review teleconference are available upon request and applicants are encouraged to contact MAC staff after the review to receive these minutes. Committee discussions provide insights about effective grant writing and how your application is perceived and understood.
Who is Eligible to Apply
Applicants must be 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen and a resident of Montana. (Residency requires having lived in Montana for at least one full year prior to the activity start date.)
Applicants must be one of the following:
Ineligible applicants include:
Application Form & Reporting
Click here for the online application and report forms.
For questions, concerns, budget or technical assistance, or to request a large-print or alternate format guideline or application, please contact Kristin Han Burgoyne, Grants and Database Director & Accessibility Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-444-6449.
The Montana Arts Council (MAC) is the agency of state government charged with promoting the arts to make a positive difference in the individual and collective lives of the citizens of the state. It accomplishes this mission by helping to develop the creative potential of all Montanans, advance education, create economic vibrancy and revitalize communities through the arts. The Montana Arts Council is funded by state and federal tax dollars. Strategic Investment Grants provide public dollars to support activities taking place within the state and the nation that benefit the citizens of the state of Montana.