The Montana Poet Laureate recognizes and honors a citizen poet of exceptional talent and accomplishment. The Poet Laureate also encourages appreciation of poetry and literary life in Montana. This position was created by the state legislature in 2005.
Current Montana Poet Laureate
Sample Guidelines from 2015
Sample Nominator Form from 2015
Sample Poet Form from 2015
What is the Term of Service?
The term of service for Poet Laureate is two years. The award is honorific. A poet who has served as Poet Laureate may not be re-nominated.
Who is eligible to be nominated Poet Laureate of Montana?
Citizens of the state of Montana may nominate a poet for the Poet Laureate position by following the application process offered in this document. Montanans are encouraged to nominate poets from all walks of life, and all poetry forms are welcome. Nominations for Montana's Poet Laureate will be accepted for poets who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Poet must be a resident of Montana for at least one year.
- Poet and Nominator must be at least 21 years old.
- Poet must have produced work of the highest caliber and critical acclaim and have contributed substantial service to the development of the literary arts as demonstrated by the submitted application.
- Poet has had at least one book of poetry published or the poet must submit another form of documentation such as video or audio recordings of the performance of their poetic art form.
- Poet's submitted work samples may be on any topic although consideration will be give to works representative of Montana and its cultures.
- All poetry forms will be considered.
- Poet must not be enrolled in an undergraduate degree-seeking program.
- A poet may not self-nominate him or herself.
- No award will be given posthumously.
- Poet must not be a member or staff member of the Montana Arts Council or their immediate family or household.
What is the selection process for the Poet Laureate?
A panel drawn from members of the literary community select three finalists from among the nominations. The three finalists are submitted to the Montana Arts Council board for review and approval. The Poet Laureate of Montana is then chosen by the Governor from among these nominees during the summer.
What are the obligations of the Poet Laureate?
The position of Poet Laureate is an honorific one. Advancing and supporting the poetic arts involves reaching out to and beyond the art and literary communities in Montana to promote the appreciation of poetry as an ancient and ongoing form of expression.
Humanities Montana will invite the Poet Laureate to join its Speaker's Bureau program.
How will Poet Laureate nominations be evaluated?
The Poet Laureate is chosen on the basis of three criteria:
- Excellence as evidenced by the submitted poetry samples.
- Exemplary professionalism as evidenced by an established history of substantial and significant publication in journals and books including at least one book of published poems or an alternate form of documentation such as DVD or CD of their poetic art form along with a transcript of the performance poetry, and any special honors, awards, fellowships, or other recognition. The 10 poem offerings should be of the highest quality and can be from any time period.
- Advancement of poetry in Montana communities as evidenced by an established history of activity in Montana's literary community through readings, publications, public presentations and/or teaching.
Past Poet Laureates
Sandra Alcosser, 2005-2007
Greg Pape, 2007-2009
Henry Real Bird 2009-2011
Sheryl Noethe 2011-2013
Tami Haaland 2013-2015
Michael Earl Craig 2015-2017