Legal Issues


Can I just Hire Independent Contractors?

Information on hiring Independent Contractors.


Copyright Q&A

Rob Kasunic, Director of Registration Policy and Practices at the United States Copyright Office, answers questions providing clarity about the process.


Visual Artwork and Copyright Protection

When an artist sells physical artwork, the copyrights in the artwork do not transfer to the purchaser.  The copyright owner must enter into a written agreement, specifying the rights being transferred, in order to sell a copyright.  The first sale doctrine allows the purchaser of a lawful copy of the artwork to resell, distribute, or publically display that copy without the artist’s permission.  However, the artist retains the copyrights in the artwork, and the rights of attribution and integrity in the sale of the physical artwork. 


Webinar on New Overtime Pay Rules

On July 26, 2016, Alliance of Arizona Nonprofits and McMinn HR sponsored a webinar on new Department of Labor overtime pay rules. 



Montana Arts Council | 830 N. Warren Street, Helena, MT 59601 | P.O. Box 202201, Helena, MT 59620-2201 | P: (406) 444-6430 | F: (406) 444-6548 |

"State of the Arts" Newspaper | eNews | Montana's Arts Calendar | Montana's Cultural Treasures Guide

The Montana Arts Council is funded by the State of Montana and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
Site History
 Up arrow

NEA Logo
Facebook Twitter Instagram icon YouTube RSS Wheelchair icon Large print icon