Now in its sixteenth year, the 2020-21 Montana Poetry Out Loud program welcomes the participation of high schools across our state! Created and supported by the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with the Poetry Foundation, Poetry Out Loud engages students in learning about poetry through the memorized recitations of works by recognized poets, both contemporary and from throughout history. Through their participation students gain public speaking skills while finding their own voice. Beginning in individual classrooms, students have the opportunity to advance to schoolwide contests, regional competitions, the Montana State Finals and—for one Montana student—the National Poetry Out Loud Finals, a virtual competition in the spring of 2021. To learn more about the program or to explore the online anthology, visit poetryoutloud.org
To indicate your interest in participating in this year’s program, please provide your contact information here. A member of the Montana Arts Council staff will follow up with you.
For questions or further conversation, please contact Monica Grable, Montana Poetry Out Loud Coordinator at (406) 444-6522 or Monica.Grable@mt.gov.
Timeline for 2020-21:
- November: participants students are identified, work begins in classrooms (or clubs), students select poems for memorization and recitation
- December: classroom (or club) competitions are held, schools register to participate in regionals by December 10
- January: classroom competitions continue, schoolwide events take place by January 27, students registered for regional event participation by January 29
- February: Regional competitions held the week of February 8-12 (each school will be assigned to a regional competition following registration in December)
- March: State Finals will be held virtually, on March 7, 2021
- April/May: National Finals will take place virtually, TBD
About Poetry Out Loud
Past State Champions
Poetry Out Loud Website