Now in its fifteenth year, the 2019-20 Montana Poetry Out Loud program welcomes the participation of high schools across our state! Created and supported by the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with the Poetry Foundation, Poetry Out Loud engages students in learning about poetry through the memorized recitations of works by recognized poets, both contemporary and from throughout history. Through their participation students gain public speaking skills while finding their own voice. Beginning in individual classrooms, students have the opportunity to advance to schoolwide contests, regional competitions, the Montana State Finals and—for one Montana student—the National Finals in Washington D.C. To learn more about the program or to explore the online anthology, visit poetryoutloud.org
To indicate your interest in participating in this year’s program, please provide your contact information here. A member of the Montana Arts Council staff will follow up with you.
For questions or further conversation, please contact Monica Grable, Montana Poetry Out Loud Coordinator at (406) 444-6522 or Monica.Grable@mt.gov.
Timeline for 2019-20:
- November: participants students are identified, work begins in classrooms (or clubs), students select poems for memorization and recitation
- December: classroom (or club) competitions are held, schools register to participate in regionals by December 1
- January: classroom competitions continue, schoolwide events take place by January 17, students registered for participation in State Finals by January 20
- February: Regional competitions held between February 4-7 and 10-13 (each school will be assigned to a regional location following registration)
- March: State Finals will be held in Helena on Saturday, March 7, 2020. The public is invited to attend.
- April: National Finals will take place in Washington D.C. April 27-29
Anna Hedinger, third place | Sophie Barth, first place
Victoria Shelton, second place
Sophie Barth, first place
About Poetry Out Loud
Past State Champions
Poetry Out Loud Website